The concept of futon was inspired by traditional Japanese bedding. The original japanese futon mattress was used more like a mattress pad than an actual bed for sleeping. Over the years, it has developed into a plusher and thicker format for increased comfort and support.
The modern-age futons have been redesigned and reimagined to serve the dual purpose of a bed and a sofa. These can be folded into a seat during the day and unfolded to a bed for sleeping.
Whether you are looking to replace your old futon mattress or planning to purchase a bigger one, below is a list of the 10 best futon mattresses and sofa for sitting and sleeping, including the various types available, and the considerations for choosing the best option according to your needs and preferences.
Here are the best japanese futon mattress you can buy in 2021:
- Mozaic Futon Mattress – Editor’s Pick
- FULI Futon Floor Mattress – Best Futon Floor Mattress
- Luxton Futon Foldable Mattress – Best Futon Foldable Mattress
- D&D Futon Floor Mattresses – Best For Yoga and Exercise
- DHP Futon Mattress – Best Comfortable Futon Mattress
- Serta Futon Mattress – Best Futon Mattress for Sitting
- Best Choice Futon Mattress – Best Futon Sofa
- DHP Aiden Futon Mattress – Best Futon Frame
- Novogratz Brittany – Best Futon Mattress for Back Pain
- Emoor Shikifuton Japanese – Best Futon Mattress for Sleeping
Best Japanese Futon Mattress – Reviewed
1. Mozaic Futon Mattress – Our Top Pick
If you do not prefer innerspring but want the support of a regular mattress then Mozaic Queen Size 6-inch Cotton Twill Futon Mattress perfectly fits your requirement.
This gorgeous model dons the look of a modern couch when put on a frame and the coziness of a mattress when unfolded. Made from high-quality and dual-sided memory foam, the filling is 6-inch thick and ultra-supportive for users.
The mattress is covered in cotton twill and can be used either flat as a bed or in an upright sofa position. The twill weave offers an outstanding suede look and feels to the mattress.
One important thing to note is that the mattress is available only with the cover and without the frame.
- Great durability and optimum comfort.
- Can be folded for use as a sofa-cum-bed.
- The queen size makes it appropriate for relaxed sleeping.
- Slight bulky and heavy to move.
- Its thickness makes it difficult to fold.
2. FULI Futon Floor Mattress – Best Futon Floor Mattress
The word “Shiki” refers to a traditional Japanese sleeping pad. Fuli has been successful in manufacturing the best futon floor mattress using the Japanese Shiki design. Made of 100% cotton material, the entire mattress weighs less than 30 pounds.
The stuffing for the mattress is 100% polyester designed with three distinct layers for support and comfort to the user. If you are looking for a reasonably priced floor japanese futon mattress or one that combines versatility with comfort then you should try out this one.
- Manufactured by legitimate Japanese craftsmen.
- Contains 3-distinct layers for comfort and support.
- Use it with or without a frame.
- The filling is anti-dust mite and antimicrobial.
- Has an ultra-comfortable 100% cotton shell.
- Larger sizes like the King size do not fold up well.
3. Luxton Futon Foldable Mattress – Best Futon Foldable Mattress
According to the latest study, sleeping on a firm mattress can be beneficial for your back health and alignment. This is the very reason Luxton has designed Luxton Home Japanese Shiki Futon Mattress. It is not only beneficial to your health but can also be used for multi-purpose occasions.
The dimension of Luxton Home Japanese Shiki Futon Foldable Mattress is 39” x 83” and is the best japanese futon mattress full size.
The following pros and cons will help you to determine whether this particular mattress is exactly what were you looking for.
- This mattress is light weighted, hence portable.
- This is a multipurpose mattress.
- This mattress is firm, thus supporting your structure.
- The width of this mattress is less, some may find it uncomfortable.
- This mattress may take a couple of days or more to expand.
4. D&D Futon Floor Mattresses – Best For Yoga and Exercise
This traditional Japanese futon mattress measures 54” wide x 80” long x 3” width. This mattress is very comfortable to sleep on and can be used as a yoga mat among other purposes. The mattress is lightweight due to the cotton fillings and can be rolled to fit into a cabinet. This is a firm mattress that will support your structure and is considered the best futon mattress to buy in 2021.
- It is a multi-purpose mattress.
- The mattress is lightweight and portable.
- The firmness of the mattress gives you comfort and support.
- This mattress is not at all waterproof.
- The thickness of the mattress may not be comfortable for everyone.
5. DHP Futon Mattress – Best for Comfort
The dimension of the DHP 8 inch Independently Encased Coil is 75” length x 54” width x 8” height. The mattress is made up of foam and polyester supported by a 6” coil throughout the mattress.
The network of individually encased coils across a DHP futon mattress equally distributes the weight put on it. This unique structure not only releases the pressure points but also retains the original shape for a long.
- The unique distribution of coils reduces the transfer of motion across the mattress.
- The width and material make it highly comfortable.
- The overall weight of the mattress is heavy, thus not portable
- Its fixed and rigid shape takes up more space
- The framework is not included with the mattress
6. Serta Futon Mattress – Best for Sitting
The dimension of the Serta Chestnut Duct Cotton Full Foam Mattress, Black is 75 inches in Length x 53 inches in Width x 8 inches in height. The overall weight of the mattress is over 20 kilograms.
The mattress is constructed with equal proportions of foam and cotton. The firm support of the mattress makes it very comfortable to sit or sleep on. The mattress has a fixed shape and is probably the best japanese futon mattress for sitting.
- Its firmness supports the structure of the person sitting or sleeping on.
- The price of the mattress is considerably low.
- The mattress is heavy, thus not portable.
- Has a rigid shape
- The mattress may lose the firmness in a couple of years.
7. Best Choice – Best Futon Sofa
This adjustable 500-pound Futon sofa bed is not only stylish but also has multipurpose usage. This comfortable sofa can be turned into a bed in a matter of seconds. The overall dimension of this sofa bed is 30.5” in length x 62.5” in breadth x 31” in height.
The whole futon is covered with faux leather. The smooth texture of the leather and the firm comfort of the futon make it highly appreciable among the users.
The armrest, cup holders, and the metal legs can be removed with ease whenever the user wants to. It does come in black.
- This sofa bed is revolutionary and smart in design.
- This design customizes your need and available space.
- Some parts of the design can be altered according to the wish of the user.
- The overall weight of the product is high, hence non-portable.
- Only comes in black.
8. DHP Aiden – Best Futon Frame
This Aiden Metal Futon Frame is a very contemporary design that matches any modern home decor. The dimensions of this metal frame are 76.5” in length x 39” in width x 29” in height.
This metal frame is a sofa that can easily be transformed into a bed, 71.5” in length x 52” in width x 10.5” in height, within a matter of seconds. This metal frame can accommodate any standard size futon mattress.
This metal sofa bed can accommodate in given space. It comes in black color and weighs around 19 to 20 kgs. This is the best futon frame in the market that comes in small pieces that can be put together pretty easily.
- This is a multipurpose piece of furniture.
- Can get customized according to your need.
- Strong and durable structure.
- Pretty heavy, not portable.
- This futon mattress frame has to be bought separately.
- Small pieces of furniture can be difficult to assemble.
9. Novogratz Brittany – Best Futon Mattress for Back Pain
If you are willing to add style to your living room, Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon is just the thing you desire. With the dimensions of 81.5” in length x 34.5” in width x 31.5” in height, it is comfort personified.
The framework of the sofa is done with wood, oak finish. The wooden framework is not only durable but also slanted slightly back, giving it a classic look and making it the best futon mattress for back pain.
The framework is stuffed with comfortable foam and polyester. It comes in 10 different shades and this sofa can easily be transformed into a comfortable bed with dimensions of 70.5” in length x 43.5” in width x 16” in height.
- Very classy in look and comfortable in use.
- Lot of shades to choose from.
- Easy to fold.
- Durable structure.
- Not portable.
- At times can be difficult to assemble the small parts.
10. Emoor Shikifuton Japanese – Best Futon Mattress for Sleeping
This is a classic Japanese futon, many times redesigned by the Japanese to meet the desires of the customers. This futon has a dimension of 55 x 77 inches and is very light weighted.
Although this mattress looks fluffy the dense cotton-polyester padding gives firm support to your back. The mattress is soft and comfortable in use and the best futon mattress for sleeping.
The mattress is relatively thin and can be used in many ways such as cushion, temporary bed, and many more. When not in need this mattress can be folded and kept in the wardrobe.
- Lightweight mattress, hence portable.
- Can be folded, hence it will occupy less space.
- Firmly supports your back.
- Not at all washable.
- The height of the mattress can be uncomfortable for few.
Don’t forget to read about our guide on – Best Router Table
Futon Mattress – Buyer’s Guide
Futon mattresses are specifically meant for futon frames and sleeper sofas, available in standard mattress sizes. You can choose a futon to enhance the comfort level and look of your living room. For that, you need to know about the standard sizes and materials in which these mattresses are available.
Types of Futon Mattresses
The different types of futon mattresses available in the market are –
- Latex Futon Mattress
These are free from any chemical compounds or additives. They include a natural spring due to the presence of latex and mold itself according to your body type. These mattresses are ideal for futon frames and platform beds. The high-quality latex combined with mattress engineering requires little to no work for maintaining the mattress.
- Chemical Free Futon Mattress
Designed to be placed on platform bed and futon frames, these mattresses are free from fire retardants and petrochemicals. The best natural ingredients are used for manufacturing these mattresses such as natural Dunlop latex, virgin wool, USDA-certified organic cotton, and coconut coir. Available in all standard sizes including the crib size, the handmade version for babies is free from all kinds of allergens and harsh chemicals.
- Memory Foam Futon Mattress
These mattresses are popular due to their cooling gel technology. Nowadays, these are available in eco-friendly options such as aloe vera based, and soy-based rather than the petroleum derivatives. The elimination of petrochemicals not only protects the environment but the inclusion of cool gel also ensures a comfortable sleep for the user.
- Wool Futon Mattress
These are a combination of durable wool and other materials for varying comfort levels. The inclusion of naturally crimped wool regulates moisture and repels body temperature while acting as a spring. These mattresses are flame-resistant and hypoallergenic and are also resistant to molds, mildew, bacteria, etc. Moreover, wool is known to promote rejuvenating sleep with better REM.
- Shikibuton Mattress
These are lightweight Japanese style folding futon mattresses that are easy to fold and can be stored in boxes and closets. You can customize the comfort level by either keeping a single layer or piling more than one mattress. These are easier to maintain and ensures comfortable sleeping.
- Organic Cotton Futon Mattress
Made of USDA-certified organic cotton, these mattresses are highly referred due to the presence of the oldest, purest, and most-loved natural fibers, i.e., cotton.
Benefits of Futon Mattresses
Whether you are looking for the best japanese futon mattress and frame you need to know the benefits of using one.
Some of the advantages are –
- Multipurpose and versatile
A futon mattress is usually placed on a mat or at a height above the floor in a frame to stay away from the moist chill floor. The latest developments to the mattress have made it foldable with an option to convert it into a sofa or recliner. You can choose from bifold, trifold, and loveseat futon frames with corresponding mattresses.
- Boarding for guests
Modern futons are the best option for accommodating more guests in limited space. Shikibutons can be placed one above the other, allowing you to unfold the futon frame with the mattress. You can either search for the best futon mattress reddit or one that fits your room space.
A futon is usually much cheaper than a standard mattress, making it a budget-friendly option for shoppers who need a mattress replacement or additional accommodation for guests.
- Easy maintenance
When futons are exposed to the UV rays of the sun it dries up the moisture in the fiber which helps in killing bacteria, molds, and other microbes. Also, the dust and dirt can be dusted off and rolled up for storage. They can also be easily washed and cleaned without any hassles.
Since a futon mattress is placed at the floor or slightly above the ground level, it reduces the possibility of children falling off from the bed. It can be used as a play-cum study space during the day and as a bed at night.
- Longer lifespan
The habit of sleeping on a firm mattress increases the lifespan of the user as it helps in better spinal alignment and eliminating back pain. You can also add a cozy feel and warmth to your bed by adding a light and fluffy mattress on the top of your futon.
Key Features on the Best Futon Mattresses
The best mattress has the following features which you need to keep in mind while shopping for one –
One of the foremost considerations is the material used for manufacturing. Modern futon includes innerspring with a steel coil frame and layers of foam on top of it. Natural and synthetic latex is commonly used in manufacturing a futon. Some of them also include airbeds in chambers to achieve the desired level of firmness.
A futon mattress can measure anywhere between 3” to 10” in thickness, with the commonly used thickness being around 6”. If you are petite, choosing a thinner mattress will do but for bulky sleepers, the thicker ones work better. You can either shop for a memory foam or polyfoam according to your preference.
While shopping for a mattress you need to consider your sleeping position, weight, and body type. If you are purchasing a mattress for a child a lightweight product will be a good choice. But for a heavyweight user, a thicker mattress will be required to support the body and avoid excess compression.
The twin, full, and queen futons are the most commonly used sizes, though there are other options such as the loveseat size, custom size, and bunk bed size that match the corresponding frame of the brand.
- Comfort and Durability
If you use your futon for most of the day then you should opt for a product that is more durable and comfortable. After all, you cannot compromise on your comfort trying to shop for a more durable product. However, if the same is for a guest bed you can opt for the cheaper alternatives.
Frequently asked question answer –
The best type of futon mattress depends on the purpose of its use. The selection process should start with the intended use of such a mattress. Whether the mattress will be used as a daily convertible or a bed will determine the type that will be appropriate for your purpose. If you are looking for an eco-friendly option then an organic futon will be the best option, however, if comfort is your priority then a cotton futon should be chosen over others.
Whether you are looking to purchase from an online store or any brick and mortar establishment there are a wide variety of options from which you can choose. Some of the popular online platforms marketing futon mattresses include Amazon, The Futon Shop, Wayfair, Overstock, Hayneedle, etc. However, due to the global reach and widespread accessibility, Amazon is considered as the best platform for purchasing such products.
To make your futon more comfortable try –
– investing in a quality mattress topper
– supporting your head and neck with a memory foam pillow
– choosing a breathable, cooling mattress protector
– sleeping on a cooling mattress topper if you are a hot sleeper
The selection process for a futon mattress depends on several factors including –
– the size of the mattress you need
– the purpose of use
– whether you prefer a soft, medium, or a firm mattress
– if you are a side, back, or stomach sleeper
– your weight and physique
– the thickness of the mattress that you need
– whether you are allergic to any specific material
People inviting guests to their house frequently should opt for a daybed. Those who prefer a cozy and comfortable environment should go for the futon option.
Usually, a futon mattress lasts between five to ten years. However, they will have a longer service life if you use them occasionally. Such as, using the futon as a guest bed will make it last for more than 10 years whereas using it for dual purpose, i.e., both as a sofa and as a bed will not make it last more than 5 years.
Futons provide a firmer feel to the user in comparison to traditional mattresses as they are specifically designed to be used on the floor. But statistics show that mattress market size is much higher than the futons marketplace. However, as a solution to severe or chronic back pain, futons are not a good option due to their firmness and inability to conform to your body shape.
In traditional Japanese culture, people mostly used to sleep on the floor on tatami mats with a hard head pillow for support. With the advancement in technology, a soft foldable mattress was included in such a sleeping arrangement to provide more comfort to the user and also experiment with colorful bedding.
The average thickness for a futon mattress can range anywhere from 3 inches to 9 inches. While coil mattresses are frequently used many people find them uncomfortable. However, some futons can be as thick as 10-inches.
Japanese futon beds are known to be super comfortable. A futon mattress is quite firm since the mattress is in direct contact with the floor with no spring for support. It contains just enough cushions to ensure a good night’s rest.
The experience of sleeping on a futon mattress is influenced by a variety of factors such as durability, material, size, temperature neutrality, and price among others. So, you need to conduct thorough research before shopping for the best option according to your preference and needs. While futons are quite cheaper than traditional mattresses, you sacrifice appearance and comfort while using a futon. So, make sure that your investment is worth the money that you are spending on your futon. You can search for a futon near me to help you find the nearest and the best store offering such products.